Monday, January 19, 2009

Confessions of a Non-Reader

Here it is.  The stack of books that I've started or browsed, but not finished, in the last few years.  Drives me crazy.  (In case you can't read it, the top two books are "Can You Hear Me?" and "Exploring the Spirit of Adoption".)

I'm married to a guy who devours books like I do chocolate.  I read some, but not at all like I want to.  These books are good and it's stuff I really want to learn from.  I'm not a big fan of New Year's resolutions, so I'm not going to make one.  But here's my idea.  I'm going to try to go to bed 10 or 15 minutes early and read just a little every night.  (That's what Keith does and it sure works for him.)  At that rate, do you think I could read a book a month or so?  That would sure be a big improvement.

On the other hand, I bought this the other day, and I'm sure I'll have no problem finishing it once I start it!  I can devour Bodie Thoene books even faster than chocolate.  I actually usually put off starting one of these books when I get it, because once I start, I'm useless until it's done.  I don't read much fiction and I buy even less, but this author is my favorite and I'll gladly buy her books!

So, what are you reading, or what is sitting beside your bed that you're not reading??

6 comments:

rachelslab said...

Ummmmm.... I wanted to leave a comment, but I don't have a good one. I've mostly been trying to get ready for company lately and not reading so much. I did start "the Shack" and want to finish it someday soon.

lisa said...

i just started the Beth Moore Bible study on Esther....does that count? I read absolutely NOTHING. and with 4 boys growing up ever so fast...I'm totally fine with that!! :-)

Anonymous said...

i also have 'can you hear me' and 'the mission of motherhood' on my to-read stack (i've skimmed through both of them...), as well as one called 'raising your child to love god' and 'the mother and daughter connection'. in the meantime i'm reading some fluff novel about the amish. duh. i'm also going to be starting the beth moore study on esther soon! very excited about that!

lisa, i lost your blog address when we switched computers...can i have it again? thanks!

Robyn said...

I tried 3 times to leave a comment on here today. Then I saw your comment on my blog, so I must try again. :-) I just wanted to say I have the same problem with reading. Unless it's a novel it's really hard for me to concentrate on finishing a book. I have that Spirit of Adoption book sitting at my house too, and I honestly thought I would read it...and I will someday! Anyway, your kids are really cute and I enjoyed the pictures of them. Hannah has changed so much, and I was wondering how she and Emilie would play together if they were to meet up. :-) They look about the same size.

lisa said...

rhonda....haven't blogged in months and months!!! so you haven't missed out on much but this is it.... http://4boys4christ.blogspot.com/. maybe if you look at it, you should remind me daily to blog again and that would help!! :-)

Sabrina said...

one of these days I'm going to post on my blog about a book I read last year that changed the way I do things in our home. One thing that has helped me to read some "meat" books is to spend 10 minutes reading one right after I read my Bible each day. It's amazing how fast you can get through a book that way. I'm awful when I get into a novel!